Vermont Telephone Company, Inc. is a family-owned telecommunications company headquartered in Springfield, VT. We are an equal opportunity employer. Join our team and enjoy an exceptional benefits package including generous paid time off, competitive insurance plans, and extensive investment opportunities.
Our currently available positions are listed below. We also welcome open submissions from applicants who do not necessarily see a job listed here that they are interested in, but believe their skill set can be beneficial to VTel regardless.
To apply for any position, email your cover letter and one-page résumé to email@example.com, or use our application upload form.
Reports to: Director, Wireless
Application deadline: Until filled
The Field Technician role supports the operation of LTE wireless sites at remote locations throughout the service area. It encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including wireless equipment installation and operation, evaluation of RF patterns, measurement of emission frequency and power, assuring site perimeter security and clearance of access paths to sites, splicing of network fiber and connections, evaluation of site compliance with operational and FCC guidelines, troubleshooting of network and equipment performance, repair of equipment, and optimization of services. This position will be required to work in a consultative manner with vendors, project management, network engineers and systems engineering to scope and deliver services.
Duties and responsibilities
- Perform planned maintenance and compliance protocals at wireless sites and complete all required documentation
- Respond to emergency and unplanned maintenance call at sites
- Perform diagnostics on equipment remote or on site, troubleshooting to find solution to impaired serviced
- Repair and reinstate service at wireless sites to include fiber and microwave connections, equipment failures, interference factors, among others.
- Coordinate and report progress with NOC regarding service reliability and availability
- May also perform other duties as assigned by Network Engineering team.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Networking, Network Management, RF Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent 2 year degree with continued professional or specialized training in the field.
Prior experience as a technician in radio, broadcasting, cable or wireless communications is required.
Specialized knowledge in several of the following areas is desirable; Ethernet, WDM, LTE wireless technologies, Layer 3 Traffic Engineering and L2 Traffic Management, Microwave path and RF engineering and measurement.
Candidates should demonstrate skills in broadcast or wireless site operation and management, analytical thinking and problem solving, implementation of technical and equipment solutions, and use of all tools for measurement of indicators and repair of equipment.
This role requires employee to work independently in a self-directed manner on assigned tasks and solution development. Work may be performed under time constraints. Employee communicates regularly with customers and team members, from remote locations requiring excellent communication skills by phone and in person. Proficient use of measurement technologies, project management SAAS, and wireless telecommunications handsets is required.
Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license.
Field Technician works primarily in outdoors settings, requiring employee to travel to installations and sites. Employee may travel by car and access work sites on foot or motorized vehicle. Heavy lifting and transportation of equipment to remote sites may be required. Additionally, may operate hand held devices for testing and communication from the field. Employee may also at computer work station.
Employee may lift and deploy network equipment, which may be transported or carried by hand to end location. Employee may perform deployment tasks in small spaces and should be able to maneuver. Extensive lifting may be required.
Application deadline: Until filled
VTel is in the process of creating a state-of-the-art 10-Gig fiber network, and we are looking for experienced IP Network Technicians to support this network. You will join a team of experienced technicians maintaining an advanced Ethernet-based network. This includes voice service, high-speed broadband, and IPTV. This is an opportunity for an individual to help transform our network from the old TDM infrastructure to the new IP Ethernet world. This position requires the ability to troubleshoot and maintain data networks, and assess service capacity needs to meet customer demands.
The Service Technicians install, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain telecommunications products and equipment that VTel sells and leases. In addition, they perform work associated with splicing and maintaining outside plant facilities and equipment. You will also be responsible for installs, splices, repairs, and maintaining aerial, buried, and/or underground fiber optic and copper cables. You will need to be knowledgeable of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of telecommunications. You will also be responsible for maintaining a Nortel DMS 100, Metaswitch, IPMPLS and DWDM networks.
As a Service Technician, you will have direct, face-to-face contact with our customers and are expected to be proactive with the sales of VTel services and products. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video/IPTV, Internet, and high-speed networks. Individuals in this role will exceed customer expectations by performing extraordinary customer service, identifying customer needs, and providing them with communications solutions. Individuals will also understand how to use and demonstrate VTel products and seek sales opportunities while educating the customer. Products and services include (but are not limited to): Local Service, Central Office Services, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes), Voicemail, Audio and/or Video Conferencing and Non-regulated CPE.
- Installs, troubleshoots, tests, splices, repairs, and maintains telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, IPTV, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other VTel products & services for new and existing customers. Installs, configures, maintains, and repairs hosted PBX solutions, Centrex Systems, and other business systems such as fiber terminals, ISPs, DATA, T-1s, and/or DS3s (carriers, paging, and wireless). Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in our exchanges. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to 'trouble' dispatches.
- Provides high level support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells VTel products and services to customers.
- Performs project management of the installation of systems and performs related functions as requested by supervisor.
- Shares on-call responsibilities, and may be asked to work overtime to meet service demands.
- Associate degree with 2+ years basic technical telecommunications experience -OR- 4+ years technical experience with telecommunications products and/or services.
- 2+ years of fiber optic and/or copper cable splicing and repair, installation and repair or switch training.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Requires an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/IPTV Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, T-1s, DSL, Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and CD-ROMs.
- Practical knowledge and experience working with Nortel DMS 100 and Metaswitch platforms. IPv6 protocol, Alcatel OmniSwitch 9800 and DWDM, Lucent 7750.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
Application deadline: Until filled
The IP Network Engineer role encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including network design strategy, network engineering, implementation, migration planning, service design, proof of concept testing, optimization services, and development of training.
This position will be required to work in a consultative manner with vendors, project management, product development, sales engineering, customer services, and systems engineering to scope and deliver professional service projects, which can include the following responsibilities:
- Produce HLD/LLD with the best architecture available to support our customer's services
- Produce network implementation and migration plans
- Deploy equipment and service configurations
- Test and Support networks in various stages of deployment
- Audit and assess customer networks
- Produce and review technical documentation
- Expert Level Knowledge in IP routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF and RIP and of enhanced technologies such as MPLS and VPLS.
- Extensive knowledge of VoIP and QoS standards.
- Detailed knowledge of Ethernet, ATM, SDH/SONET, Frame Relay, Packet over SDH/SONET, WDM, wireless technologies, Access technologies (FTTH, DSL, and special circuits), Layer 3 Traffic Engineering and L2 Traffic Management.
- Experience in Network Management, Operation Support Systems (OSS) and Business Support Systems (BSS) is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Application deadline: Until filled
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Configuring customer equipment to connect to the Internet, for DSL, and FTTH Internet customers either wired or wireless.
- Performing accurate creation of new accounts and maintaining existing accounts, using company provided software tools.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting customer services logically, utilizing company provided software tools.
- Providing customers with product and service information to enhance sales and customer service.
- Answering customer calls respectfully and patiently. Troubleshooting connectivity issues for both DSL and dial-up, using a broad range of tools and experience.
- Completing trouble tickets. Setting up email account in various email clients. Familiarity with a broad range of setting and configurations in a variety of email clients.
- Testing, packaging and programming modems, routers and netbooks.
- Monitoring and responding to customer voicemails and emails.
- Familiarity with computer hardware and/or electronics
- Customer service background
- Able to work independently and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Internet-related applications, such as e-mail clients, FTP clients, and web browsers
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized
- Experienced with hardware and software troubleshooting
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), dependability, and flexibility are key
This job is part-time, averaging 15-18 hours per week after training.
Application deadline: Until filled
Reports to: Supervisor, Sales and Care Center
Several Customer Advocates are needed to work in Springfield, VT. This important role at our company requires a dependable and friendly personality to serve as the front line of customer interaction. Candidate will handle customer calls, emails and online chat inquiries to customer questions, service issues and disputes. Candidate will also be responsible for selling products and services to our customers and recommending a complete technology solution to best fit their needs.
An ideal applicant for our company will be eager to start a career in sales and customer service or expand their resume in the field of telecommunications and wireless 4G/LTE technologies. On-site training is provided. Excellent verbal and written skills are a must.
Primary functions will include:
- Explaining our technology to customers by email, phone and online chat.
- Sells and promotes products and services offered by company to new and existing customers. Uses techniques such as up-selling, suggestive selling and offering sales promotions to make sales. Cross sells products and services by promoting bundles. Maintains a high-level knowledge of company products, services, service territories, pricing and technical capabilities/limitations, hardware and others necessary information to reach the customer.
- Works with customers in person (and by phone, online chat and email) to answer questions regarding service, features, options, upgrades, and billing/payment concerns. Initiates service orders to begin, upgrade or terminate service, and initiates number ports as requested to begin service. Refers the customer to the appropriate department for a service trouble and initiates a trouble ticket if necessary.
- Accepts and posts payments to customer accounts. Investigates and resolves customer billing issues, applies approved credits/adjustments, and confers with other departments to resolve billing issues. Establishes payment arrangements and security deposits with customers according to credit policy guidelines for delinquent accounts. Assists with processing insufficient checks and related correspondence. Follows CPNI regulations and procedures when accessing customer accounts. Escalates issues to the Customer Sales Coordinator or Supervisor as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous clerical duties such as filing, data entry and record maintenance. Responsible for maintenance of carrier information and related correspondence for customer and Company use. Assists with processing batch payments and applying monthly recurring credit card payments. Assists with disconnection process for non-payment.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned by management.
1 Full-time position available
1 Part-time position available
Compensation is hourly with generous commissions.
Both positions require working 1-2 Saturdays per month
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent, college degree preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret computer reports.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and handle multiple work assignments.
- Ability to complete work accurately under time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and various business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to listen to the customer, determine needs and suggest appropriate technology solutions.
- Ability to speak in a clear, understandable and friendly voice with customers and co-workers.
- Strong desire to learn new technologies and a positive attitude.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
This role requires employee to work independently in a self-directed manner on assigned tasks and customer requests. Employee communicates regularly with customers and team members, requiring excellent communication skills by phone and in person. Proficient use of MS Excel, Word is required.